Saturday, June 6, 2015

Perception

I'm not sure if this is philosophy or not.  I think it probably is.  I am finding that my perception of people is changing.  I used to observe them as just "there".  But If I knew them, or wanted to speak to them or even remember I saw them, I would perceive them as a person.  I can now perceive them and everything else as "real"(whatever that means).  I can choose to look at someone and think They live somewhere and they think of that place as home or they're busy working or doing everyday things. They have their likes and dislikes.  They may belong to clubs, play sports, go on vacations. They may think deeply, or just enjoy life as it is.  I drive by, looking at houses with a light in them, and think that there are people there watching TV or doing homework or fighting or arguing.  They're living their own lives, unaware of me as a person with my own ideas and going about my everyday life.  We all are different people, each living within our own perceptions of the world around us.    Our thoughts and actions are all based on our own perceptions.   My point is that everyone acts within their own world view until and unless that view is changed by an outside force, they will continue to to think and act the same way.  I guess that my point in all this is that none of us has the right to try to impose their world view on others.  This imposition has been the tinder to light the fire of conflict and war throughout the history of humanity.It appears in many faces - fascism, pogroms, jihadism, dictators, or even the amassing of wealth or political power.  It is behind any "This is my belief, and you must follow its teachings as well".  or " I have the right to amass all this "property, goods, political power and the right to do anything necessary to make it happen".  It is part of my world view we each have the right to our own world view except to the point where it leads us to the point that we act in a way that denies that same right to others.

1 comment:

  1. I thin this type of thinking comes from the 'TMI' syndrome. It is impossible to be cognizant of every person, so, only those whose actions affect our lives are counted as being worthwhile to being noticed...an enemy or a friend. We're just wired that way. Our brains make shortcuts all the time.

    As a person who is compassionate, loving and outward-facing, Barb, you lead others to find that our circles are larger than we think. We have more in common with each other than we think.

    ReplyDelete